When pursuing a healthy lifestyle, sleep is a major factor. An adequate amount of sleep can make you feel on top of the world, invincible, and energetic. A not so adequate amount of sleep can make you feel groggy, depressed, or unmotivated. I am very passionate about sleep because for awhile I struggled getting quality “zzzzz’s.” After restless nights of constant pondering, tossing and turning, or flashbacks, I’d wake up feeling as if I’d just walked away from a wrestling match, defeated. (I’ve never wrestled in my life, but I’m totally for sure that it would match that feeling.) I have the hardest time shutting off my mind. I know I’m not the only one. It makes sense that sleep is a struggle. We’re all really busy people right? Everyone seems to be doing a million things and there’s not enough time in the day so it trickles into your sleep. We’re running full throttle during the day and then we expect our mind to all of a sudden come to a stop the minute we jump in bed? As if magically the bed puts your to-do list, stress, creative ideas, and dishes on pause in a split second. Lets be nice to our bodies and let ourselves unwind, so we can get quality sleep.
I’m trying my best to stick with my nighttime routine so that my sleep is solid and rejuvenating for the following day. It is not always easy because not every week looks the same.
Here are some of my nighttime routine steps:
- Social media shut down two hours prior to shut eye
- Take a stroll around the block
- Close the kitchen 2 hours before bed, my mom’s motto at night was “Sorry the kitchen is closed.”
- Drink hot tea (decaf)
- Do something relaxing like reading, journaling, stretching, drawing, shower, or listen to an uplifting podcast
- If I’m going to watch a movie, because sometimes that happens before bed, it is a calm and lighthearted one. Absolutely nothing with zombies, haha, I tried it (The Walking Dead) once and I had zombie dreams.
When I was super desperate for solid sleep and flashback-less nights I created this prayer based on multiple scriptures in the Bible. Feel free to use it in your nightly routine while you pursue a healthy lifestyle.
Thank you Lord that you are in control! I shall lie down in peace because you will keep me safe. Instruct my heart as I sleep. I know I will not be shaken, for you are right beside me. I rest in your safety. I long to live in the shelter of the most high, and find rest in the shadow of your wing.